Sunday, October 5, 2008

Mao's Last Dancer




Hi All,


I couldn't wait till our next class to tell you about the great book I read over the break called Mao's Last Dancer. It's a story about a peasant boy's journey from his village in China to be one of the most famous dancers in the world - imagine, being the one chosen from over a billion people in China to given the opportunity to learn to dance and change your life!


He becomes a ballet dancer and is part of the Beijing Dance Academy. I got the feeling that he wasn't the most gifted dancer but with hard work, determination and respect for himself and his teachers and family, he became a sensation. I'm looking forward to telling you more in our book chat session next week.
If you are curious, click on the link below for some more info.

2 comments:

KOJI said...

Can you guess why the peasant boy wanted to be a famous dancer? why was he interested in the dance?
By Koji

Ms D said...

I guess the hope that he could leave his current situation and have a better future. Isn't that what all people hope for? He actually wasn't interested in dance at all and was more interested in Kung Fu!